Majority Acceptable Score voting
- Voters can give each candidate 0, 1, or 2 points.
- All candidates given 0 by a majority are eliminated, if any others would remain.
- (If there are any candidates given 2 by a majority, you should eliminate any who aren't. But a majority-2 candidate would probably win in the next step anyway, so this step is probably superfluous. It's just included because it's part of Bucklin voting, which was used in over a dozen US cities, and thus it gives this method a stronger pedigree.)
- The remaining candidate with the highest points wins.
Blank votes are counted as 1 or 0 points in proportion to the fraction of all voters who gave the candidate a 2. For example, a candidate could not win with more than 71% blank votes, because even if the other 29% are all 2-ratings, that would leave 71%*71%=50.41% 0-votes, enough to eliminate.
Here's a google spreadsheet to calculate results: . On page 1, it has some examples of how different combinations of ratings would come out, suggesting that it could work well in both chicken dilemma and center squeeze scenarios. On page 2, it has some hypothetical results for the Egypt 2012 election, showing that this system could have elected a reformer over Morsi, despite vote-splitting among the various reformers. IRV could have elected Morsi.
Imagine that Tennessee is having an election on the location of its capital. The population of Tennessee is concentrated around its four major cities, which are spread throughout the state. For this example, suppose that the entire electorate lives in these four cities, and that everyone wants to live as near the capital as possible.
The candidates for the capital are:
- Memphis on Wikipedia, the state's largest city, with 42% of the voters, but located far from the other cities
- Nashville on Wikipedia, with 26% of the voters, near the center of Tennessee
- Knoxville on Wikipedia, with 17% of the voters
- Chattanooga on Wikipedia, with 15% of the voters
The preferences of the voters would be divided like this:
| 42% of voters
(close to Memphis)
| 26% of voters
(close to Nashville)
| 15% of voters
(close to Chattanooga)
| 17% of voters|
(close to Knoxville)
Assume voters in each city give their own city 2; any city within 100 miles, 1; any city that is over 200 miles away or is the farthest city, 0; and the rest (those between 100 and 200 miles), get 0 or 1 with 50/50 chance.
|City||2's||explicit 1's||explicit 0's||blanks||total 0's||score|
Memphis and Knoxville are both given 0 by a majority, so they are eliminated. Of the remaining two, Nashville has a higher score and wins.
If Memphis voters rated Nashville at 0 in the above scenario, they could cause Memphis to win. But Chattanooga and Knoxville voters could protect against this as long as at least 3/4 of them (24% from their combined total of 32%) gave Nashville a 1 (or a 2).